The Rolling Library is an abolitionist group fighting for the total abolition of police and prisons–particularly the total closure of Rikers in Queens–and a group that believes in education, not incarceration. However, as long as these prisons exist, we want to ensure that incarcerated people should have fair access to books—including new books, entertaining books, and books that they want to read—and other resources. For the second year in a row, we’re teaming up with a local correctional services librarian to collect and deliver books to incarcerated people at Rikers Island.
The easiest way to donate is via our partnership with Astoria Bookshop: Simply choose books to purchase off our wishlist, click “pick up in store,” and put “Rolling Library” in the order notes. These will go directly to us–no need to pay for shipping!
We are only accepting books off our wishlist & only paperbacks. No other books will be accepted at this time.
Other ways to help:
- Purchase e-gift cards from Thriftbooks.com (send to: TheRollingLibrary@gmail.com) which we can use to buy mass market thrillers in Spanish
- Donate from your own collection (only paperbacks from the list below) on Monday nights, 6-8pm, at Astoria Food Pantry.
- Have books shipped to us from Bookshop.org or your local indie bookstore. (Please don’t send us any books from Amazon):
The Rolling Library
c/o Astoria Food Pantry
25-82 Steinway Street
Astoria, NY 11103
- Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin
- Dragon Ball Z
- Demon Slayer
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Are Prisons Obsolete? by Angela Davis
- The Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto Che Guevara
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- The Rose That Grew From Concrete by Tupac Shakur
- Rhyming Dictionary